Tomatoes – 4
Toor Dal – 1 Cup
Oil/Ghee – 3 tbsp
Green Chillies – 2 to 3
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin – 1 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric) Powder – 1 tsp
Sambar powder – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1 tsp
Coriander – 1 small bunch
Curry leaves – 6 to 8
- Boil the Toor dal in 4to 5 cups of water till it is well cooked. Allow it cool, mash it and keep aside.
- In a vessel (I used Eeya Chombu), add Oil/Ghee – when hot add mustard seeds, cumin, green chillies, curry leaves, and asafoetida and saute for a few minutes.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes, Haldi powder and Sambar powder and saute till it has blended well and has become mushy.
- Now add the cooked toor dal with the water (see item 1) and let it boil for a few more minutes.
- Add the finely chopped coriander and the simple tomato rasam is ready for serving.